The Tomb of Mirza MuqimAbu'l Mansur Khan entitled Safdar Jung (A.D. 1739-54)viceroy of Avadh under Muhammad Shah (A.D. 1719-48) and later his Prime Minister, is the last example of the Mughal tomb layout, which began with Humayun's tomb. It is a typical example of the charbagh pattern of
Safdarjang's Tomb-Mughal gardens. The high rubble walls of the enclosure accommodate water channels at the top. In the centre of the eastern side is the double-storeyed impressive gateway to the enclosure with several apartments, a courtyard and a mosque, while the same position on the other sides is occupied by multi-chambered spacious pavilions, known originally as Moti Mahal ('pearl palace'), Badshah-Pasand (,king's favourite'), andJangli-Mahal ('sylvan palace'), on the north, south and west respectively. The mosque, built with red sandstone on the second storey, was obviously added later. The double-storeyed mausoleum, 18.28 m sq., built with red and buff stone relieved by marble, stands in the centre of the garden. It rises from a high podium faced by a verandah broken by arched openings, leading to a series of cells inside. There is one cenotaph in the central chamber and two graves are located in the underground chamber. The high central dome with bulbous outline, and the polygonal corner towers topped by chhatris are notable architectural features of the tomb, which by and large due to its pronouncedly vertical elevation lacks pyramidal feeling or balanced symmetrical proportions. Still it is rightly described as the last flicker in the lamp of Mughal architecture at Delhi.